Monday, January 20, 2014

The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle series by Bill Myers

I learned about this series from a friend who reads these books and enjoys them very much. The first time I read one of these books, I laughed and laughed. Mr. Myers wrote the books in a way that the character's name describes their personality. For example, Opera, is a boy who eats Chippy Chipper potato chips all day and listens to opera music. The main character in the stories is Wally McDoogle. He is a walking disaster. His best friends are Opera and Wall Street. Wall Street wants to make her first million dollars by the time she is thirteen years old. She gets most of her money off of Wally.

In my favorite book of the series (that I have read so far) titled, "My Life as a Stupendously Stomped Soccer Star," Wally doesn't like sports because he is not an athlete. He finds himself on the soccer field trying out for the team!!! The best soccer player he knows knocks him unconscious. His conscience will make up anything Wally wants. So, the story takes place in Wally's conscience where he learns that being famous is not what he expected. He also learned that sometimes we get pain to tell us not to do that. 

I would recommend these books for ages 8 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment