Monday, August 26, 2013

A Hive of Busy Bees by Effie Mae Williams


I read this book and I really liked it because it was creative by taking  one bee sting and turning it into lessons to teach character qualities like "beeing" kind. 

This book is about two children who are spending the summer with their grandparents. Every night they learn about a character quality were there is a bee buzzing telling them to do the right thing. Sometimes people rejected the buzz and had bad consequences. Some of them accepted the buzz and better things happened to them. I really liked this book because it turns the lessons into stories. My favorite part was the last story "Bee Prayerful." There was a boy planning to do something for his own greed, but, by the power of prayer he didn't. He eventually accepted God as his savior. 

I think this book is for everyone about 6 and older. It has some scary content in Bee Prayerful, Bee Obedient, and Bee Helpful. 

I give this book 5 stars! *****

A Hive of Busy Bees is available through Project Gutenberg.  This project began in 1971 by Michael Hart as a community project to make plain text versions of books available freely to all. Click here to view the book : http://archive.org/details/ahiveofbusybees07027gut

2 comments:

  1. Makayla,
    Great job on your blog! This was a thoughtful review and I might just read the story to Trevor soon.
    love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Makayla, I love these stories...
    I try to read at least 2 a night. Recently
    your grandpa and I heard the buzz of the
    Honest Bee. We were shopping, and a small
    package of pancake mix was hidden behind
    a large heavy box, The cashier came out
    from the counter and scanned the box. We didn't
    see it until we were putting the box in the car.
    Your grandpa and I looked at each other. I really didn't
    want to walk back in, and stand in line again to
    pay for the mix. But we heard the buzz of the
    Honest Bee, and I went in side, the cashier
    seen me come in, and came up to me and asked
    “ is some thing wrong? .. How can I help? “
    I told her how one package didn't get scanned, and I needed
    to pay for it. She checked me out right away,
    gave me a big smile, and thanked me for
    being so honest.. The other customers looked
    at me and smiled too... It was such a good feeling.
    No matter how old you are, the busy bee still
    come to help you.

    ReplyDelete